December 28, 2011

VA-YIGGASH-Hidden Identities

Va-Yiggash continues with the theme of hidden identities introduced last week in Mi-Ketz. Joseph, knowing his brothers do not recognize him, keeps his identity hidden in order to test whether they have amended their ways. After revealing himself, Joseph instructs his brothers when they are introduced to Pharaoh to claim, “Your servants have been breeders of livestock from the start until now, both we and our fathers...” (Gen. 46:34) Why does Joseph want his brothers to hide their true occupations? Because Joseph knows “...all shepherds are abhorrent to Egyptians” (Gen. 46:34) . Joseph clearly wants his brothers to misrepresent themselves to gain favor in the eyes of Pharaoh and his fellow Egyptians. The brothers ignore Joseph’s request and tell Pharaoh, “We your servants are shepherds, as were also our fathers.” (Gen, 47:3)

This parsha makes me wonder if it is permissible at times to, not necessarily misrepresent yourself, but perhaps omit a truth about yourself? Having just recently completed our Hannukkah holiday that coincided with Christmas this year, I find this parsha quite timely. It seems the entire month of December, everywhere I went, I was bid “Merry Christmas”. My standard, non-committal response was, “You too”. Long ago I had given up the, “Thank you, but I celebrate Hanukkah” response because it never seemed to accomplish anything except make the bearer of good greetings feel awkward and somewhat embarrassed. Now I choose instead to focus on the intent of the greeting - which is to simply wish me a happy holiday. I understand the “Merry Christmas” greeting was not intended to force Christianity upon me, attempt to convert me or to marginalize Hanukkah. It is simply a well intended (albeit presumptuous) greeting of well wishes at a certain time of year.

Do I feel like I am hiding my true identity when I do not proclaim that I celebrate Hanukkah instead? No. When a person’s intent is genuinely innocent, then I am secure in my Judaism and do not feel like I have to wear my religion as a badge or have the need to shout it loudly from the rooftops. Our tradition actually allows for this. “Jewish law and customs legitimates adjusting our behavior ‘for the sake of ways of peace’ (mi-p’nei darkhei shalom), furthering good relations with those around us by avoiding giving offense to their values and sensibilities” (Etz Hayim Torah and Commentary). I am a proud Jew, embracing my traditions and beliefs, and always willing to express my Judaism openly. But when I am greeted with “Merry Christmas”, I choose not to dampen someone else’s joy by pointing out they have been mistaken. Besides, it makes hearing the words “Happy Hanukkah” all the more special during our holiday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Mi-P'nei darhei shalom .... thanks!!

    Next time I suspect that someone has "ulterior motives" in wishing me a "MERRY CHRISTMAS!!", I will remember this and do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete