December 4, 2011

Vayishlach – Wounds

We tell stories about our lives. With repetition over time, they become more than stories. They become The Story Of Our Life. They may be true, partially true or completely inaccurate. But they take hold and they matter.

I hope the story I have been telling since age 25 is true. Because The Story Of My Life is that I have been seeking to acknowledge all my pain, loss and weakness on this premise: the more I face that pain and accept the lows, the higher my highs would be. That the more I am honest about myself, faults and all, the more I can find true peace and happiness. It’s a trade-off to live on these extremes, because the lows can get very low, but it feels worth it to me.

Jacob’s wrestling match is my touchstone. When I first read this story—and every time since—I get a shock of amazement, wonder and joy. This story is why I am a Jew: why I have chosen to stay a Jew after searching for many years for my spiritual home. This story goes to the heart of My Story.

Jacob has done things he regrets. He lied to his brother and to his father. I have done things I regret. I let my mother use me as an emotional dumping ground for her complaints about my father. I let my father emotionally batter everyone in the family, including me. In my mid-twenties, I was emotionally numb to much of my own life. I had shut out the pain, and thus also shut out the joy.

Jacob has a wrestling match with a man. It seems to me he is dreaming a dream that portrays the struggle going on inside of him. He knows he has made mistakes, and he is wrestling with the knowledge that he could have done better and that he can be a different person. I started my own wrestling match with therapy sessions while I was still in college. I knew that something was not right. I was not living out my beliefs; I was not even sure what I believed. I had never really acknowledged or suffered through the traumas of my life: my mother’s cancer, my parent’s difficulties, my grandmother’s heavy and toxic presence in our lives (long story for another day). I had pushed all this aside, but now I slowly began to battle my demons.

Jacob is wounded. His thigh is injured. I am wounded. We are all wounded. I try not to spend much time around people who do not acknowledge this. It is exhausting to watch them find myriad ways to hold off reality.

Jacob becomes Yisrael—Wrestler with God.

I remember a day when I was about 30 years old and still struggling with myself. I walked into a forest. I ended up in a large, sloped area with two paths leading up to a summit. I sat at the bottom, and started talking to each path as though each were a parent. I cried, I yelled, I sat in silence. After a time, I remember finding that I was instead talking to God. I did not consider myself religious at that time. I learned that day that I could wrestle with God. When I read the story of Jacob a few years later, I was stunned, moved, changed.

Jacob goes to his brother with true remorse, and finds forgiveness and wholeness. Esau is ready to move on. Jacob seems a changed man from this point forward. He acts with strength and with purpose.

I hope to do the same in my time on this earth.

4 comments:

  1. Chuck, you wrote: I am wounded. We are all wounded. I try not to spend much time around people who do not acknowledge this. It is exhausting to watch them find myriad ways to hold off reality.

    Man, can I relate to this! It seems that in your last couple of posts you have been writing about being honest with yourself, and in bringing that honesty to others. Don't you find that it takes much less effort and agony to be really yourself, with yourself and with others, than it does to try to present yourself as only part of who you really are? And isn't it exhausting to try to read through the lines as other people present only a fraction of who they really are? I'm not advocating dumping all our filters, but I certainly get exhausted when I have to present myself as anything but flawed, struggling, and often unsure. And it does not bring me much comfort to observe others (except kids of course) who seem unblemished by life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't you find that it takes much less effort and agony to be really yourself, with yourself and with others, than it does to try to present yourself as only part of who you really are?"

    Yes, but only after one has done the "work" and can step back and notice how they hide.

    I think many people go through their whole lives hiding and have no idea they are doing it.

    And yes, I am going for honesty. It took me a few parshot to get rolling, but personal honesty and insight was a primary goal in starting this blog.

    Another year perhaps I will dive into the commentaries. This year, I hoped to get personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. over time, I find it so much easier to just be me, in every single situation, with everyone I know.

    Years ago I spent a lot of time interviewing for jobs, and studying how to present myself appropriately, so I would be attractive to various employers. Finally i decided to dump that bullshit, and just be myself.

    After all, what you're looking for in a job or any relationship is the right fit, and if you present yourself as anyone besides exactly who you are, you might get the job (or the friend or the lover, etc.) but it will take so much energy to maintain that image!

    Also, when I am fully myself, people from different circles know the SAME ME--something that was impossible years ago.

    I think it all boils down to accepting yourself as an ok person, in every regard. Then there really is very little to hide. Still working at this, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could not agree more with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete