November 9, 2011

Va-Yera--How We See God

In the parsha of Va-Yera, G-D’s personality is so multidimensional, it almost gives a person whiplash. G-D is vengeful (in the destruction of Sodom), compassionate (in the giving of a son to Abraham), merciful (in the salvation of Hagar and Ishmael) and of course demanding (in the command to sacrifice Isaac on Mount Moriah). Which brings me to the portion of Va-Yera that I have long struggled with. The age old question of why Abraham seems so willing, without question, to bind and sacrifice his beloved son?

The Torah goes to great lengths to depict Abraham pleading and bargaining with G-D to spare the wicked city of Sodom. A city filled with sinful strangers (with the exception of Abraham’s nephew, Lot and his kin) who are so perverse that they greet strangers by trying to rape them. Why does Abraham feel compelled to bargain with G-D SIX times on behalf of these sinful strangers, but never once beg or plead for Isaac’s life? Why doesn’t Abraham refuse or even question the request to bind and sacrifice his own son?

The only answer I can come up with is to imagine what Abraham has experienced firsthand with his new G-D. Just reading the Torah, I can barely keep up with G-D’s mood swings. Imagine experiencing them. Abraham witnessed firsthand the complete decimation of Sodom (Gen. 27-28). I totally freaked out when I saw footage of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami on TV this past March. An act of nature that didn’t even include sulfurous fire raining down from heaven.

Next, Abraham was the recipient of a miracle and blessing late in life….he fathered a baby boy at the sprightly age of 100, just as an angel had predicted. This new G-D has some mad skillz. To Abraham, it looks like G-D’s promise of a great nation is on the way to being filled. Shortly after Isaac is weaned, G-D tells Abraham to cast out Hagar and Ishmael. Abraham is distressed, but does what G-D says and ultimately that turns out OK, too. Wow…G-D’s 3 for 3 so far!
.
And then G-D commands Abraham to bind and sacrifice Isaac. I wonder if Abraham did the Scooby-Do (Ruh-Ro!)? Imagine how fearful you would be to disobey, to argue, to even question at this point. This new G-D can rain down molten fire if you anger him. But he can also bless you if you obey him. Molten Fire….Blessings….Molten Fire….Blessings. I’m gonna go with “Obey for Blessings”.

Maybe Abraham instinctively knew this was a test of his devotion. Maybe he was scared out of his mind (but not beyond belief). Whatever his motivation, he passes the test, Isaac is spared and they all live happily ever after. Or do they….in the Torah we never hear Isaac speak to Abraham again.

2 comments:

  1. I like the insight about why Abraham complies with The Akedah: "Whatever you say, Dude. Just don't hurt me."

    Seems a completely reasonable response, as you explain.

    Meta-Analysis ... as I said in my post, I believe in God, but not in this petty god we meet in the parshah. Yet I understand where the author might have been coming from. If I was a writer in 2,000 BCE trying to create a god that people would pay attention to, making him completely unpredictable and capricious would be a good ploy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!!! That WOULD be a good ploy!!!!

    I keep thinking about what you said about God....that he is an impersonal watchmaker. I struggle with this definition because it allows me to feel somewhat hopeless. I desperately want to believe that God is active in our daily lives, that he is aware of my attempts to be a good person and can appreciate my efforts.

    In my simplistic view, I tend to attribute human characteristics to God. In early Genesis, he IS petty (like you said) and lashes out like a child in frustration when he is disappointed in the flawed humans he created (i.e. Noah and the flood). Then as he matures, he is open to reason and compromise (Abraham bargaining on behalf of the city of Sodom). Throughout Genesis we see God struggling to grow into his role as our master (for lack of a better word).

    Presently, I believe God is like the good parent of a teenager/young adult. Like you, I believe he kind of hangs back (now that the human race has grown up) letting us make our own decisions and experience the consequences of our actions.

    And although God doesn't seem to be interacting in our daily lives like biblical times, I do beleive he is actively inside of me everyday....in my conscience when dealing with others, in the love I feel for family and friends, in the compassion I feel towards those less fortunate, etc. And I have to admit, I do believe that God is aware of my good deeds...and is hopefully keeping track (wink).

    ReplyDelete