November 4, 2011

Lekh L'kha- Where is it?

"I will make of you a great nation,
And I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
And you shall be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you
And curse him that curses you;
And all the families of the earth
Shall bless themselves by you."
So, here's my question where is the "cursing", where is our great nation? I have come in contact with anti-semitism, and the only kid I saw get "cursed" was one.
It is my opinion that God does not believe that we must see the "cursing" going on. We should be able to keep our faith, and love for Judaism, without seeing every person get struck down. We should have faith in the idea that when a wrong is done there is always a consequence, whether we see it or not. Then we may better react to these people when it happens, so we can stay calm, and keep a small problem from escelating.
It is like my mom said two weeks ago, we feel to much that we must see it to believe it. I chanlenge everyone, just one time, to stay calm in a hard situation, with the knowledge that a consequence will be dealt.
And now my other question, where is our great nation? When I first read this I thought that Israel had never fought a war that they themselves started with no alternative, so we were climbing up the ladder slowly, but justly. I was wrong. However it gave me a chance to look at this in a "nu" light.
I am very much so paraprasing this, however in Sunday school we learned of a nation of people (Babolynians mabye) who basically were taking over many cultures, but the Israelites were able to stay together due to their stories. We may not be great in numbers but we are great in faith.
When I was born, mom was a pentecostal christian. She later did what she refers to as "studying her way out." She was staunchly without religion for a long time after that, but she got worried that if we grew up without religious values we would get pulled into a colt as she (believes) the church she was in was. Knowing her grandmother was jewish, she put her toes in the water and gave it a shot in 5768 (2007). She has been jewish since and loves to learn it and study it more. She says when she first went to synagouge, someones disagreed with the Rabbi, and he aknoledged her point as a possibility. At the church however if you disagreed with the Pastor you were treated as a sinner.
Mom, Tanner, and I, although not as observent as some, all love judaism, as I hope you do.
We are a great nation of faith. Numbers don't matter.

1 comment:

  1. Bree,
    I think you touched on a wonderful point: we are great in faith, and numbers don't matter.

    I strongly believe this. I saw a televised show a few years ago that was about all faiths in the world today. I never knew that people who pray to Buddah and those who are Hindu far outnumber the Christians in the world today -- by a very large margin. To be sure, Muslims are also a major religion in our world (most of them practice a very peaceful and beautiful faith) and us Jews? Less than 20 million world wide. We really have never recovered from Hitler's army and hate.

    Our numbers may be small, however, our faith is great and that is what matters the most.

    ReplyDelete