November 24, 2011

God's twist

God says in the beggining of this Torah portion,

 "Two nations are in your womb,
and two peoples from within you shall be divided;
the one shall be stronger than the other,
the older shall serve the younger.”

When you read this don't you expect the younger to be a strong-willed, brave, kind leader, type of person? And do you not expect the older to be a meek, idolizing, I'll-do-whatever-my-brother-says kind of person? God stuck a twist in this!

The younger was in fact, a cheat, well...really just a cheat and a jerk. He takes what is rightfully his brothers' knowingly. Is it possible that he wanted his fathers blessing. He loved his father, and wanted him to give him such a blessing? Or was he just a greedy? I think the second.

The older, is not meek, he's respectful. He goes out and hunts game for his father as he asked, and I believed he would've without knowing he would get a blessing.

However, am I making the victim sound better then he actually was because he was the victim? I don't think so. When he sees his parents didn't find the Hittie women acceptable, he goes out and gets woman his parents would approve of, and, may I bring up, without being asked.

And the mom? Rebbeckah for some reason wanted Jacob blessed. Why? Was she showing favoritism? I think she was, but I believe it was influenced by God. She thought Jacob was the better son of the two, because God said that Esau would be his servant, but just because someone is lower in rank does that make them worse then the other? No, and may I just say that Jacob may have been a bit of a mama's boy as well as a cheat. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment