January 4, 2012

VA-Y’HI -- Goodbyes

I am very blessed. In my lifetime I have not experienced the loss of a parent, relative or friend (ptew, ptew, ptew....that’s the sound of me spitting to ward off bad luck). My two “closest” relatives that have passed away were my grandparents - the paternal grandparents I never met and the maternal grandparents I barely knew (I can count on one hand the number of times we met, as they did not live in America). So I can only imagine the pain, sorrow and loss one must feel at the death of a loved one.

Va-Y’hi is about loss and the preparation for it. Elaborate instructions and promises to uphold last wishes are made. Blessings are bestowed. Words of wisdom imparted. Reflecting on this, I feel it would be an ideal way to depart this earth. Surrounded by your children and grandchildren, given the time (and especially the coherence) to impart a few last meaningful words and to embrace loved ones before a final goodbye.

I guess the words that come to mind are peace and dignity. Both Jacob and Joseph seemed to be at peace with their mortality. They were mentally and emotionally prepared for this inevitability. They had the dignity of a sound mind with which to express their final wishes. I can only hope that I, and my loved ones, can make such a gracious exit from this world when the time comes (ptew, ptew, ptew).

1 comment:

  1. In my experience, few make gracious exits. People go kicking and screaming, and many are afraid and in pain. Then there are those who are barely themselves when they finally die, thanks to advanced disease and modern medicine's ability to keep them alive. Family members are often afraid to say the D word (ptew, ptew, ptew), even to each other, not wanting to upset and cause more pain. My father died suddenly, my mother after a long, painful illness; both deaths were hell for all of us. I guess hospice is theoretically a way for the dying and survivors to all get honest and on the same page. Most of us don't have the strength to do this by ourselves, we need help, a lot of help, both during the dying process and afterwards. Death just sucks.

    ReplyDelete