February 4, 2012

Yitro – The God I Don’t Love

This parshah presents the essence of the God I don’t love.

I have been talking to my rabbi about this God, and saying to him: “This is not the God I believe in. Do I have to believe in this God to be a Jew?”

This God is vengeful, prideful, bossy, and all-too human. “Do this. Go there. Don’t do that, or I’ll kill you.”

This God is like a parody of a patriarchal, power-hungry tyrant.

I believe in the “god” that mythologist Joseph Campbell talks about: “God is a metaphor for a mystery that transcends all categories of human thought.”

A “metaphor for a mystery” does not act like God acts in this parshah.

1 comment:

  1. Man I was almost in tears as we read this parsha Saturday morning with the rabbi. When my heart tells me something is wrong, it's wrong. Maybe it's a misprint, maybe someone got it wrong when they tried to tell the story, but I don't believe in a God who inflicts pain and suffering to impress upon the people his power. I'm willing to learn more about this, but when religious teaching conflicts with what I know is just plain wrong, I will go with what I know. I ain't no Jim Jones follower. (hoping i don't have to duck any lightning)

    ReplyDelete